Paradise Redemption
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Paradise...The way it was supposed to be...

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Latest topics
» The World
Filipino Monsters Vol. 1 I_icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2020 1:52 am by Ember

» ADVERTISEMENT PLEASE SPREAD TO OTHER RP FORUM SITES YOU KNOW
Filipino Monsters Vol. 1 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2013 10:28 am by Leonard

» Official CB Quotes
Filipino Monsters Vol. 1 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 22, 2013 12:07 am by Ember

» Country Mods/Leaders!
Filipino Monsters Vol. 1 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 05, 2013 2:04 pm by Ember

» Gregor Del Sol
Filipino Monsters Vol. 1 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2013 11:09 pm by Ember

» Shockwave
Filipino Monsters Vol. 1 I_icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 9:07 am by Zachary

» Zachary Iccirus Bonaparte
Filipino Monsters Vol. 1 I_icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 8:57 am by Zachary

» Aros
Filipino Monsters Vol. 1 I_icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2013 8:51 pm by Ember

» Tamashi Bannin
Filipino Monsters Vol. 1 I_icon_minitimeMon May 27, 2013 9:47 pm by Ember

ADMINS
~Admins~ Photobucket Ember

MODS
~Mods~ Photobucket Hollowsan

Photobucket Leonard

Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 42 on Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:23 am
May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

Filipino Monsters Vol. 1

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Leonard
Leader of Extremity/Extingent
Leader of Extremity/Extingent
Leonard

Filipino Monsters Vol. 1 Empty
PostSubject: Filipino Monsters Vol. 1   Filipino Monsters Vol. 1 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 28, 2012 1:59 pm

Hey I was just bored sitting around until I remembered the Filipino monsters or "Aswang" are they are called that old people tend to tell stories about to little children. Here are just to name a few:

1. Tikbalang (Philippine Demon Horse)
Spoiler:
Tikbalangs are said to scare travelers and lead them astray. Tikbalangs play tricks on travelers such that they keep on returning to an arbitrary path no matter how far he goes or where he turns. Supposedly this is counteracted by wearing one's shirt inside out. Another countermeasure is to ask permission out loud to pass by or, not to produce too much noise while in the woods in order not to offend or disturb the tikbalang.
A superstition popular with the Tagalog of Rizal Province is that Tikbalangs are benevolent guardians of elemental kingdoms. They are usually found standing at the foot of large trees looking around for anyone who dare to bestow malignancy on their kingdom's territory.
A common saying has it that rain from a clear sky means "may kinakasal na tikbalang."(Filipino, "a tikbalang is getting married".) This was most likely derived from a similar Spanish proverb that claimed a witch was getting married when there was rain on a sunny day.
According to traditional folklore, the tikbalang can also transform itself into human form or turn invisible to humans.

Fortunately these things can be tamed. By one account a tikbalang has a mane of sharp spines, with the three thickest of these being of particular importance. A person who obtains one of these spines can use them as an anting-anting (talisman) in order to keep the tikbalang as his servant. The tikbalang must first be subdued, however, by leaping onto it and tying it with a specially-prepared cord. The would-be-tamer must then hang on while the creature flies through the air, fighting madly to dislodge its unwelcome rider, until it is exhausted and acknowledges its defeat.

This one is considered a good guy, the:
2. Kapre (Smoking Tree Giant)
Spoiler:
Kapre is a Philippine mythical creature that could be characterized as a tree demon, but with more human characteristics. It is described as being a tall (7 to 9 ft), brown, hairy male with a beard. Kapres are normally described as smoking a big tobacco pipe, whose strong smell would attract human attention. Kapres are not necessarily considered to be evil, unlike the manananggal. Kapres may make contact with people to offer friendship, or if it is attracted to a woman. If a Kapre befriends any human, especially because of love, the Kapre will consistently follow its "love interest" throughout life. Also, if one is a friend of the Kapre then that person has the ability to see it and if they were to sit on it then any other person could see it.
Kapres are also said to play pranks on people, frequently making travelers become disoriented and lose their way in the mountains or in the woods. They are also believe to have the ability to confuse people even in their own familiar surroundings; for instance, someone who forgets that they are in their own garden or home is said to have been tricked by a Kapre. Reports of experiencing Kapre enchantment include that of witnessing rustling tree branches, even if the wind is not strong. Some more examples would be hearing loud laughter coming from an unseen being, witnessing lots of smoke from the top of a tree, seeing big fiery eyes during night time from a tree, as well as actually seeing a Kapre walking in forested areas. It is also believed that abundant fireflies in woody areas are the embers from the Kapre's lit tobacco pipe.

And the most popular:
3. Manananggal (Self-segmenting flying viscera sucker of fetuses)
Spoiler:
The Manananggal is a mythical creature of the Philippines. It resembles a Western vampire, in being an evil, man-eating monster or witch. The myth of the manananggal is popular in the Visayan region of the Philippines, especially in the western provinces of Capiz, Iloilo, and Antique. Like vampires, Visayan folklore creatures, and aswangs, manananggals are also said to abhor garlic and salt. They were also known to avoid daggers, light, vinegar, spices and the tail of a stingray, which can be fashioned as a whip. Manananggal is described as being a beautiful woman who turns into a hideous, scary vampire-like creature capable of severing its upper torso in order to fly into the night with huge bat-like wings to prey on unsuspecting, pregnant women in their homes; using an elongated proboscis-like tongue, it sucks the hearts of fetuses or the blood of an unsuspecting, sleeping victim. The severed lower torso is left standing, and it is said to be the more vulnerable of the two halves. Sprinkling salt or smearing crushed garlic or ash on top of the standing torso is fatal to the creature. The upper torso then would not be able to rejoin and will die at daybreak. Manananggal comes from the Tagalog tanggal, which means "to remove" or "to separate". Manananggal then means "the one who separates itself" (in this case, separates itself from its lower body). It is a saying that a manananggal's attack can be avoided by death. The most prominent characteristic of a manananggal is its ability to dispatch its torso from its legs.

That's just to name some of them. Philippine folklore has a wide variety of monsters, legends and myths. I might make a volume 2 of this in the future. When I remember some of the monsters not mentioned here.
Back to top Go down

Filipino Monsters Vol. 1
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Paradise Redemption :: OOC Stuff :: Free Talk-
Jump to: